The Charter of Temple University
Temple College classes were organized in the Fall of 1887 after the seven original students increased in number to forty. In March of 1888 the trustees of the new school voted to apply for a charter of incorporation from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The stated purpose of Temple College was "an educational institution intended primarily for the benefit of workingmen." The corporation was officially recorded on May 14, 1888. By that time, the college was offering a variety of courses and included students, faculty and administrators of many denominations. The courses included academic and practical subjects such as ancient and modern languages, oratory, and penmanship. Students received certificates for completion of their class work but academic degrees were not awarded until 1892.